SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#190576 - 10/29/02 04:14 AM Re: the world of ......"tyros"
trtjazz Offline

Simon,
I'm envious your Tyros is in. Mine's like a month away yet. Looking forward to your review once you have it and a few demos.

BTW, I've listened to all the demos on your page and they are all excellent. Again thanks for providing the space for them.
Terry

[This message has been edited by trtjazz (edited 10-29-2002).]

#190577 - 10/29/02 08:04 AM Re: the world of ......"tyros"
Dnj Offline

Is it me, or do these Style/demos played on the Tyros sound EXCACTLY like my PSR9000? Not much change imo. Sorry to dissapoint you but thats how I hear it.

#190578 - 10/29/02 08:27 AM Re: the world of ......"tyros"
trtjazz Offline

dnj,
They must be somewhat different just for the use of the mega voices. Plus I don't think they are supposed to be all brand new styles, just improved is what I get.
Terry

#190579 - 10/29/02 08:41 AM Re: the world of ......"tyros"
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Donny: As I stated above, I too agree with you that the styles sound pretty similar (SAME?) to what I hear on my PSR2000 as well. It's those new 'mega voices' which bring new spark & realism to the guitar & bass parts, but . . .

the BIG DISAPPOINTING thing I discovered, listening to the Tyros demos, is that the Tyros appears to be MISSING the terrific life like SAX & TRUMPET sounds I've grown to enjoy on the PSR2000/9000. Yamaha appears to have replaced the Tyros SAX & TRUMPET sounds with weak and thin disappointing replacements. This is most apparent on "I've Got You Under My Skin" where the sax 'fills' sound like a sick duck sqwaking, and the horns lack any spark or realism whatsoever.

It seems that Yamaha took a BIG step forward with the impressive Mega Voices (guitars, strings), but then fell BACKWARD again with the terribly unimpressive horns & woodwinds. Anyone else notice this?

#190580 - 10/29/02 09:06 AM Re: the world of ......"tyros"
trtjazz Offline

dnj,
The styles are pretty similar but with new spark added. Does that warrant stepping from the 9k to the Tyros? Perhaps not, does it warrant buying the Tyros over the 9k perhpas so, it depends on the differences in other features and what each one needs.

Scott,
As far as the horns. I noticed it more on fast passages then I did on the slow ones where it sounded good. I think the sweet horns though sounds as good or better such as the "sweet soprano sax". The other thing that perhaps needs to be taken into account is playing style and how any instrument sounds. It will be hard to tell for sure until each person gets their hands on one and plays with their style of play and hear what comes out. IMO
jam on,
Terry

#190581 - 10/29/02 12:44 PM Re: the world of ......"tyros"
Idatrod Offline

Loc: Oceanside, CA USA
On a side note, Dirk has some wonderful midi files available here: http://www.laurasmidiheaven.com/Original/cgi/dbmdisplay2.cgi?mailkey=dirk.baert1@pandora.be&action=oneartist&h=Dirk%20Baert I think these were made on the Ketron SD1 but I'm not positive. If the URL link is too long and doesn't connect to the site just go to Lauras Midi Heaven, "Originals", "View all artists" (or do a name search): Dirk Baert. These are especially good midi sequences that sound extraordinarily good (for "Midi" as apposed to MP3, or CD), "especially through an external sound source". I play them through my PSR 2000 which outputs to an external Amp, Mixer, and good speakers/with a Sub. The Midi's are mostly Jazz and Latin and if you gig these would be especially appropriate during breaks, etc. in most situations. (Must have a disk drive of course.) Kudos to Dirk for his fantastic chops and beautiful playing style. If Dirk's day job is not in music, it should be and that's the absolute truth.

Best regards,
Mike

#190582 - 10/29/02 05:33 PM Re: the world of ......"tyros"
Tom Cavanaugh Offline

Loc: Muskegon, MI
Scott,

One of the reasons I returned the 2000 and 9000 to Guitar Center was because the saxes, clarinets, and brass could not begin to compare to the similar sounds on my X1. I played them side by side. Our big band has 5 saxes in it so I know how a sax should sound. I felt that the Sweet? Live or Cool soparano sax (whatever they called it) sounded good in about a four note range. The sweet tenor and whatever they call the trumpet sounded thin and fake. It sounds like the Tyros might not be much better in that department. Where I felt the Yamaha excelled was at the guitars. They were much better than the Ketron guitars. I do love the Yamaha vocal processing and harmonizer. It beats the rest hands down. IMHO

Dirk could make a Bontempi sound good. He is AWESOME! I love his rendetion of Autumn Leaves. I'll have to wait till tomorrow to hear his Tyros demos.

Regards,

Tom

[This message has been edited by Tom Cavanaugh (edited 10-29-2002).]

Tom

#190583 - 10/29/02 07:09 PM Re: the world of ......"tyros"
Scottyee Offline

Hi Tom: I agree with you that the Ketron's Saxes' sound terrific. I do think the PSR2000's sax's sound pretty dammed good though, especially considering the $1,000 price of the 2000. The nearly 3 times more expensive Tyros' horns & woodwinds , on the 'other hand', are a tremendous disappoint, and unless Dirk's MP3's are hiding something here, I don't think I could bear downgrading from PSR2000's horns & woodwinds to the almost 3x priced Tyros's horns & woodwinds. I'm still anxiously waiting to find out if others here got the same impression about the Tyros' horn & woodwind instruments too. Please listen to Dirk's demo song of: "I've Got You Under My Skin" and tell me if you agree or not that the sax & horns just don't sound very good. On the other hand, Dirk's keyboard performance was absolutely TERRIFIC !

Scott

#190584 - 10/29/02 10:00 PM Re: the world of ......"tyros"
Dreamer Offline

Loc: Rome - Italy
Scott,
as you know and as I have already written, that is exactly my opinion too and I think that Roel thought the same when he tried the Tyros.

#190585 - 10/30/02 12:41 AM Re: the world of ......"tyros"
Scottyee Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by notlos re: the Yamaha Tyros keyboard:Some sounds are weak of sound. some voice i prefer the sd1 of ketron

Dirk (Notlos): If you don't mind me asking, I'm curious to hear WHICH 'specific' voices you 'personally' prefer on the SD1 over Tyros? Are these voices included in the XD9 as well? Also WHICH specific Tyros voices do you think are 'weak in sound'? Are they by any chance the Tyros sax, horns, woodwinds, and orchetral sounds I had mentioned? Thanks. - Scott

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online